Bishop's Believe It, or Not

Sunday, January 24, 2010
Ice, ice baby... Vanilla Ice, ice baby
This is simply a crazy winter. We aren't in the negative temperatures at noon anymore, but we aren't really warm enough to melt. So, everything has turned to ice. Trees, roads, roofs, gutters - all covered with ice. It makes for some cool pictures - but that is about all. The kids were out of school for 2 days since roads were so terrible. At this rate we will be in school till July making up all these snow days!









So, to pass the time...

We read books.



We made Valentines decorations.





We found a Rubik cube is a great way to confuse 4 & 6 year olds.



We freed Ian's mouth of its FIRST TOOTH!! (He got a whole quarter from the Tooth Fairy and a certificate)





And when we couldn't take it anymore we went to The Playground For Kids which has blow-up slides galore for the kids to run, run, run and burn off the energy they have been storing up. It did the job and was money well spent.



In addition to the ice causing everyone in Iowa to be a little stir-crazy, lots of folks are having roof leaks. The ice is making dams in gutters so the melted water can't drain. Water is a funny thing and can travel up. We have not escaped this. Our gutters have had ice-dams and we have had a few leaks in our kitchen and Ian & Jens room. So we have had buckets all over the kitchen collecting the water that has traveled up the roof because the gutters are blocked with ice. Todd asked around at work and they said we really just have to wait till spring - when winter is done, things are dried up totally, and we can have a better look. So, we were ok knowing we just had to deal with the leaks for a little bit. Turns out we won't have to deal with it too much longer!

We were all gone to various places all day Saturday. The last place we were together was at my parents house. From there, Todd went to work for the rest of the night because he has a deadline next week and is one of only two architects on this job. So, around 7:00 I walked into the house with the kids.

                                                                BELIEVE IT OR NOT....



Yup, the ceiling in the kitchen had collapsed! Lights, sheetrock, plaster...everything.

Jack: (GASP! - and in a loud whisper) "MOM! Wook what you did!"
Mom: "No Jack, I didn't do it."
Jack: "India? India is naaaaaughty."
Mom: "No Jack; it was just the water. The water made the ceiling too heavy and it fell."
Jack: (Looks at Mom like she's telling a whopper)

So I cleaned up as much as I could. I didn't want to call Todd and have him come home, or worry about it at work. He needed to concentrate on what he was doing. And if I am being honest - there was a part of me that thought it would be funny for Todd to come home ( I knew it would be about 12:30 - he tries to follow the letter-of-the-law and work up until the Sabbath day - and not on the Sabbath. So he will stop at midnight and then shut everything down and come home...; and once he is home he usually wonders into the kitchen for a snack or a little treat) ANYWAY, I thought it would be funny in his sleep deprivation for him to wonder in, try to turn on the light - only the light won't turn on (since it came crashing to the ground) - look up and ....you get the idea. I know, I know - warped sense of humor.

So Monday I will go find a cheap light to get us by for a while. Then when our tax return comes in we will be in construction mode...once again. We had wanted to remodel our kitchen...just in 8 years when we had money to do it like we want. In the meantime, this gives me a great excuse to camp out at my parents house and watch the DIDY network non-stop!
posted by Co-Founder #2 @ 8:42 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At January 24, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    You are CRAZY! I would be crying in a corner, and there you are already thinking of the humor in the situation! I love it!

     
  • At January 24, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Blogger shauni said…

    OH, I'm so sorry. I would have cried if I came home to that! You have such a positive attitude. Let me know if you need anything.

     
  • At January 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Blogger Stephanie Salmon said…

    I know I should make a comment about the ceiling caving in but I just think the craziest part about this story is that Jack knows how to TALK. I can't hardly believe it. Good luck with the {early} remodel. Do you have to use your tax refund? Doesn't insurance cover?

     
  • At January 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Wow, that sucks! You gotta love that midwest weather. The ice did LOOK pretty even though it ruined everything. Sorry Liz. :(

     
  • At January 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Blogger Jenny M said…

    Your humor inspires me. I've gotta remember there can be a funny side to bummy things. I'm so sorry! What a blessing to have your parents live nearby! Are they still in the same house we had seminary in? I kinda miss being woken up only to find myself at a Shanghai breakfast with your cheerful mom cookin'!

     
  • At January 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Blogger The Wattles said…

    Hahaha!!! You had the right idea to "surprise" Todd! I would have done the same, only, I don't think I would have cleaned up so much! That totally SUCKS though!! Ahhh, I wish we lived closer so that I could help, crud like that is never fun to do alone.

     
  • At January 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Blogger HENDERSONYAN, INC. said…

    OMG, did you like freak out when you walked into the kitchen??? I cannot believe it!!! Wow ice is really bad for Iowa. Sorry, that really sucks!! I hope you can fix it soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: bishop family co-founder #1
Home: Des Moines, Iowa, United States
About Me: architect by day; mediator, cook, maid, handyman, driver, IT, entertainer,husband, father, and zoo keeper by night
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives