Bishop's Believe It, or Not

Saturday, January 9, 2010
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Many of our friends & family have called, facebooked, texted, etc. to tell us how cold we are in Iowa.  You are right.  It's freezing here!  It might be -17 but feels like -35 with the windchill!  Burrr, burrr, burrr!  The weather was so bad that school was cancelled both Thursday and Friday.  I love snow days.  I have loved having all the boys home during Christmas break so I was glad that after only 3 days back at school, they were back home with me.  We have been finding ways to deal with cabin fever and escape the house.

1.  Ian got lots of art supplies for both his birthday and Christmas.  He also used his birthday and Christmas money to save up and buy a camera.  We got him a great camera off Craigslist.com.  It was listed for $30 and Ian had $28.  Of course we would have given him the two dollars, but we first made him ask if they would take his $28 and they did!  He was so excited to A. have a camera; and B. that he bought it himself.

This new found thrill of buying with his own money has really taken root with Ian.  So over the past couple snow days, Ian has been busy with his art supplies making gobs and gobs of pictures.  He wants to have a garage sale in the summer for kids and sell his artwork to.  He is even making multiples of some of his pieces so kids won't have to fight over them.  One afternoon I came downstairs from putting Jack and Jens down for naps and found Ian had been hard at work.  He had gotten ziplock bags and put a picture in each one.  He enhanced the "package" by adding a little something extra.  In some he put a rasinet, and in another he put a candy cane, or for the lucky girl or boy......a pair of Jens underwear!  So, if any of you are interested in one of these one-of-a-kind, limited-time special packages - act now!  Operators are standing by to take your order.  Ian says you can buy them for 2-3 pieces of money.  If translation is needed: this mean he would like coins...need not be specific.

2.  We have also been baking.  Jens and I passed Friday morning making chocolate chip cookies wearing mustaches.  It was so fun.  I think wearing mustaches while making cookies totally makes them taste better.



3.  When Todd got his official arch. lic. in December, his office gave him a Visa card.  He used a generous portion on a membership at the YMCA.  This has been a lifeline when it is so cold and the kids need to get their energy out.  The water is too cold for me.   I like it pretty much to be bath temp, but the boys don't care as long as the water is wet!


posted by bishop family co-founder #1 @ 9:00 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At January 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Blogger Lena said…

    Oh my gosh! I was thinking about you guys while we were mailing out our christmas cards...we desperately need your address : ) So, I was super happy to discover your email and then to visit your blog! Fun stuff--wish we were close enough to hang, I imagine we could work up a little more fun...maybe too much with all the kiddos! I think I will try the mustache trick. My cookies need all the help they can get when it comes to tasting good!

     
  • At January 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Blogger Jenny M said…

    Elizabeth,

    I just read your complete blog. What a hilarious, cute, funloving family you have. I am so excited to keep updated on your happenings. Do you have Maaret and Jenny's blogs? Let me know if not and I'll give them to you.

     
  • At January 9, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Blogger Jenny M said…

    P.S. We might be moving to IA. Univ. of IA is Jared's second choice, and chances are slim for the first (6 out of at least 600 applicants at the U of U)

     
  • At January 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie Salmon said…

    Nice work Elizabeth accomplishing your New Years resolution so early and starting a blog! We are so excited to get to know our nephews again. I hope your New Years resolution #2 was to keep the blog updated. You're doing wonderful so far, just keep it up! Tell the boys hello from us if they even know who we are. :)

     
  • At January 10, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Blogger HENDERSONYAN, INC. said…

    oh sweet pictures!! love it!! Good job Todd on multitasking your life so much. And I am all for kids spending their own money, way to go! Happy you have a new blog!!

     
  • At January 11, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Blogger shauni said…

    Cute blog Elizabeth! I am cracking up at all of your stories. You guys do have some crazy things happen around your house.

     
  • At January 13, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Blogger The Wattles said…

    Haha!!! I want the one with the panties!! Kev LOVES when I spice it up!!! (If you ask me whoever gets the raisinet looses big time!)
    Bomb that Ian is all about making money, that means he'll always have money:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: bishop family co-founder #1
Home: Des Moines, Iowa, United States
About Me: architect by day; mediator, cook, maid, handyman, driver, IT, entertainer,husband, father, and zoo keeper by night
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives